Monday, May 28, 2007

Pirates: At World's End

I went to the 11am show of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End today. I knew it was a long movie, but not getting out of the movie theater until 2:10pm was still a shock. About the movie, here's what I thought, in no particular order (WARNING, THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD. BIG ONES):

1. Keira Knightley is ridiculously gorgeous in the entire movie. At some points, it was even distracting.

2. I wish the movie had more Jack Sparrow in it.

3. I think the "Maelstrom" battle would've been even cooler if there WASN'T a whirlpool in the middle of the 2 ships. Also, the Jack & Davy duel high above the deck was unnecessary and unrealistic. Who has balance that good?

4. Despite what I said in #3, the end battles were spectacular! Lots of fun even after 2 hours of mostly talky-talky.

5. Sao Feng lost all appeal when he attempts to rape Elizabeth. His asking for forgiveness did not make up for it.

6. Keith Richards did a really good job. Although, he may have been too commanding of a presence. It made me wonder why he wasn't one of the 9 Pirate Lords.

7. I love the fact that Beckett freezes at the end. Very realistic for a villain who was obviously all talk and only as strong as the man beside him.

8. Everyone at ILM should be preserved for future generations to use. They are geniuses without peers in my opinion.

9. I was really glad to see more of Jack's cunning and trickery in this one. He was kind of buffoonish (and not in a good way) in the last film.

10. I could've done without the good Jack-bad Jack/angel-devil/duck season-rabbit season hallucinations that Jack has after he gets out of the Locker. Silly.

11. I've read some reviews that the story is too dense to follow. This is NOT so. It's dense, but it makes sense... at least it did to me.

12. What the hell were the other Pirates' ships doing during the last battle?

13. I want to know what happened to Calypso. There was very little effect to her resurgence, so why not cut out that storyline? Maybe because of Davy Jones? I don't know.

14. The "road" to World's End was perfect, in terms of both scenery and dialogue/interactions.

15. Once again, Bill Nighy is freakin' amazing as Davy Jones. 'Nuff said.

16. The most intriguing story in the entire film was that of the origin of Davy Jones. I wanted to hear/see more about it.

UPDATE: 17. I don't know if the "parlay" scene was supposed to be an homage to the final standoff in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, but that's what I immediately thought of when it began. Am I the only one? Well, it was excellent either way.

Overall, I liked this one WAY better than Dead Man's Chest, but Curse of the Black Pearl still reigns supreme. At World's End is definitely worth seeing on the big screen, if only to see Davy Jones' tentacle face in some magnificent close-ups.

1 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

I agree with everything you wrote, but I liked Dead Man's Chest way better. That one's FUN. This one was dull, aside from the few moments you mentioned.

6/03/2007 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home