Sunday, May 13, 2007

28 minutes later...

It's been about a half-hour since I left the theater having just seen 28 Weeks Later. I should say that I am a REALLY big fan of Days and was looking forward to this sequel. At first, I was skeptical about it, thinking that since Danny Boyle was no longer directing and Cillian Murphy would be nowhere to be seen, then the movie was going to be crap.

Not so. I dug it. A lot.

It looks and feels just like the first film. Although there is no explanation of what happened to Murphy's character and the other survivors, the new characters are compelling and equally tragic. The film has a solid story and is exceptionally paced and well-made.

If the opening scene doesn't give you a panic attack, then I think you'll be ok for the rest of the movie. The beginning is CRAZY. And the way that scene ends is classic and made me chuckle only because I just know that I would've been having the same reaction as (SPOILER ALERT) Robert Carlyle's character when he's finally motoring down the river in his boat.

MORE SPOILERS: There is one thing that I didn't like and that was the scene in the containment room during the beginning of the Code Red... the scene that ends with Andy entering the A/C ducts. The director used a lot of shaky-cam which normally doesn't bother me, and 90% of the time it didn't bother me in this movie either. Just that one scene where the cuts make no sense, everything is an extreme close-up, and there are lights flashing like crazy. It lasts for less than 5-mins, I think, but it was still annoying.

END SPOILERS

Aside from that, all good in my book. I especially like the music/score/soundtrack or whatever you want to call it. It fit the scenes perfectly and powerfully conveyed the emotions on-screen to a degree that I've rarely seen in recent years.

It's a little gory but not overly so, and you probably expected that anyway. What's next? 28 Years Later?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home