Sunday, May 27, 2007

Paul McCartney: Dance Tonight

I've actually been really eager to see Paul McCartney's latest video, "Dance Tonight" starring Sir Paul, Natalie Portman, and Mackenzie Crook, and directed by Michel Gondry. Reason being that I had the good fortune of meeting and having a long chat with Mackenzie Crook a few months ago, and he was telling me all about the video, in particular how the effects were done. Based on his descriptions, I couldn't wait to see how it turned. Here's a good description:
"All the ghost effects are done in camera: the ghosts are actually evolving in front of a glass separation that reflects their image into the shot. This technique is based on smoke and mirror effects of magic tricks (known as the Pepper's Ghost effect) and other early cinema effects." --from director-file.com
I think the video and the "ghost effects" all look great (I'm a big fan of practical effects over CGI). Check out the video:


(found thanks to Russ)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home