Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Last Kiss

I loved this movie. LOVED IT! The script, acting, even the soundtrack are incredible. I'm a big fan of Zach Braff, but it's Jacinda Barret who, even though I can't recall her in a single other movie I've ever seen, really stands out here as she carries the emotional tone of the film. Casey Affleck was great as always and Tom Wilkinson's speech to Braff near the end of the film seemed like gospel without being preachy. But this movie isn't for everyone. The turning-30 characters deal with hard issues like adultery, parenthood, commitment, etc., but with a certain humor to punctuate the drama. Some of the problems they have are actually pretty comic so that the movie isn't wholly depressing.

I equate The Last Kiss, in a way, to Closer starring Clive Owen, Julia Roberts, et al., not because the actions of the characters are so despicable, but because even though the main characters do things that seem so incredibly wrong (or right for that matter), they are immediately relatable and that's not a happy thought for most. I tend to gravitate to movies that lead to introspection, what can I say?

A note about the soundtrack: as I've said before, it's awesome. My favorite tracks in no particular order are "Warning Sign" by Coldplay, "Prophecy" by Remy Zero, and "Painkiller" by Turin Brakes. Each has a different style but all are quality music. The entire soundtrack is available on iTunes but they make you buy the whole album. If you want individual tracks (like I did), most if not all are available on their original albums on iTunes. Just do a search you lazy bastards.

The reason I like The Last Kiss so much is because I know every one of these people. Not the actors of course (though that'd be pretty cool) but the characters. I grew up with some of them, and some are my closest friends right now. I could even be one or two of them.

When it comes down to it, The Last Kiss exemplifies how I feel to be 29... or at least how I think being 29 should feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home