Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Tale of Buddy Israel

I don't have too much to say about Smokin' Aces. I saw it yesterday and thought it was just ok, which is disappointing because I could not wait to see this movie.

The action is entertaining, but ultra-violent. The actors all do a good job, but none so much as freakin' Jason Bateman as the strung-out lawyer. He's only onscreen for about 5 minutes, but he steals the show anyway. That man needs to be in everything! Why did FOX have to cancel Arrested Development? But I digress.

The main problem with Aces is that it doesn't have too much of a story to it. MINOR SPOILER (kind of): there's a twist at the end, and people... I guessed what it was 20 minutes into the movie, and I'm not the brightest cat on the block when it comes to these things. The whole thing was sooooo transparent. To be perfectly honest, I didn't guess one small detail of the twist, but it was inconsequential to the overall story. It's a whole lot of headache for nothing. And Ryan Reynolds' meltdown at the end doesn't mean much to the audience, even if it was well executed by Reynolds.

Smokin' Aces is a movie made from excess. If you can get through the first 5 minutes of the movie without having to shake your head to clear it from overstimulation, then you'll like this movie a whole lot more than I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home