Thursday, January 11, 2007

Beckham and MLS

I've never really talked about how much I like soccer. I'm not fanatical and I don't have a favorite team, but I try not to miss the major matches of the World Cup from Round 1 on up. I'm enthralled by a good World Cup match. I also enjoy watching European League soccer, English Club Soccer, Euro Cup, etc. The only soccer I don't really like watching is MLS. I can't stand it and I'm not sure why. It just seems substandard compared to the rest. Maybe it's because there aren't any truly great players in MLS.

Well that's changing. David Beckham is leaving Real Madrid and joining the LA Galaxy (link to story on SI. com). Since I live in LA, I'm so gonna try to get tickets to a game 'cause I can't wait to go see Beckham play live, but this will not change my opinion of MLS, at least not in the short term. Beckham is one of the best in the world, and he's coming to the MLS? It won't be until Zidane, Ronaldo, Henri, and other great players come to the MLS as well that it'll become worth watching. Until then, they're just exhibition games. The rest of the MLS, even the rest of the LA Galaxy, is way out of their league.

Then again, maybe I'm being too harsh on the MLS...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home