Saturday, January 27, 2007

"Sparta will burn to the ground"

I've gone back and forth on whether or not I'm excited to see the movie 300 from director Zack Snyder based on the comics mini-series by the legendary Frank Miller. I'm back on the bandwagon saying that 300 will probably be pretty good.

I thought Sin City, again based on Frank Miller's comics, was good. A little long and meandering, but all in all it was entertaining and well-made. However, I was not exactly enthused when I saw that 300 would, like Sin City, be shot completely against a green/blue-screen and then the backgrounds composited in (or at least, it seems that way). It just looks fake (which it is) and it takes me out of the movie. The only reason I accepted it during Sin City was because I'd read some of the Sin City comics and realized that the movie was a shot-for-shot recreation and stylistically it made sense. But when used in a Greek period action movie... I don't know.

I recently came around just because I think the action sequences themselves will look good, and I think the guy yelling in all the trailers will make a good movie hero. And the general story is amazing. So we'll see.

If you haven't seen the various trailers for 300, go here now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home