Saturday, March 10, 2007

People have gone crazy over Captain America #25

Captain America is dead. He was shot and killed in Captain America (current series) #25 written by Ed Brubaker. I haven't read it yet, but I hear it's well done. Brubaker's stuff is always well done (read the current run of Daredevil or his Winter Soldier run on Cap. Both are incredible).

Every comic store that I've been to in the past week (admittedly, I only went to 3) has sold out of Cap #25. Apparently, since the story made it onto Yahoo! News, etc., everyone and their grandmother has been out buying up copies hoping for a big collectors boom like what happened when Superman "died."

My regular store sold out at noon the day it was released. I didn't get there until 7. I was a little pissed that there were no more copies, but it seems that my friendly neighborhood comic book store owner had an extra copy of the variant edition. I'm not a "collector" per se, but I know the benefits of having the variant over the original. He charged me cover price.

I saw the same variant at a store in Santa Monica today selling for $50. I don't understand people at all. It makes me sad, really.

People are going to be so pissed when Cap comes back to life in 6 months. Nothing devalues a "death of" issue like that same character's resurrection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home