Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Did he say "Chalk of Fate"?

I'm pretty sure he did. I guess there's no interest in the Toothbrush of Destiny and the Tire Iron of Eternal Life anymore.

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, it's the new trailer for Day Watch (via CHUD), the sequel to the Russian film Night Watch (naturally) from director Timur Bekmambetov. Looks good, although I was more excited about the first film's trailer than this one. Day Watch seems like it could be really repetitive of Night Watch.

I love the shot of the guy diving into the sign. You'll know when you see it. On the flip side, I hate that whole car thing at the end. This is Day Watch, not Matrix Revolutions.

On a related note, Night Watch is a good, but not great movie. Most of my issues with the movie stem from the lack of conclusions to the storyline, but I guess that'll all change when I see Day Watch. It's exceptionally well made and the special FX are no joke. The best thing about the movie though was it's unique use of subtitles. Instead of using the usual yellow subtitles, the color and style (even their dissolves in and out) became part of the movie-watching experience, part of the mood and feel of the film itself. For example, when vampires were talking (or whatever), the subtitles would be in blood red, float lightly on screen and then dissolve out as if they'd been washed away, all done to convey VAMPIRE. In retrospect, it's pretty simple but highly effective.

But as I'm told, although I have not verified it, on the DVD of Night Watch the subtitles are just the normal, boring old subtitles. That's lame and totally sucks for anyone who didn't see this in the theaters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home