Tuesday, April 17, 2007

"That boy's got the devil in him" - Grindhouse

Yeah. I saw Grindhouse this past weekend. Everyone's talking about it and I don't have too much to add in the way of a review. A few random thoughts though:

1. Planet Terror was funny most of the time, but some scenes were sooooo gross that it actually decreased my enjoyment of the film as a whole. Which scenes? Really anything with the abscess guy. All in all, it's a true send-up of grindhouse movies.

2. Death Proof was really good. The car chase at the end is abso-freakin' amazing! Loved the ending too. In my opinion, where Rodriguez made a send-up, Tarantino made an actual grindhouse movie... and he made it really well. Did I mention the car chase at the end?

3. DON'T was the absolute best of the trailers. A cut above the rest (no pun intended). I would actually see that movie. It's no surprise that it was directed (for free, btw) by one of my personal favs, Edgar Wright, the director and co-writer of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

4. Jeff Fahey's portrayal of J.T. in Planet Terror was spectacular. The guy cracked me up.

5. How awesome was it to hear "Jeepster" by T.Rex in Death Proof? It's one of T.Rex's best songs and I was really happy to see it prominently featured in a film. T.Rex is such an amazing glam rock band. Quentin's got some wicked taste in music. "Jeepster" can be bought on iTunes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home