Sunday, March 18, 2007

I'm an idiot (Captain America #25)

I'm not all that into comic collecting anymore, just reading. I keep the ones that really impress me and sell off the rest when I'm done with them. Another possibility is that I like a particular run of a series and then sell the single issues hoping to make enough money to by the trade because they're easier to store and re-read.

Don't get me wrong... I still try to get top $ out of selling my comics based on the current demand. I had a copy of "She-Hulk" vol. 2 #8 which I sold for $15 having bought it for cover price $3. Great story and worth reading, but I didn't feel the need to keep it.

Same goes for "Marvel Zombies" #1 which I may be getting rid of soon. It's just not the greatest of stories and the mini has an ending that I can't stand, but it's new and clever at the same time.

To the matter at hand and the reason for this post: I got a 3-day pass to WWLA and with it comes 3 exclusive comic book variants, one of which is a John Cassaday variant cover edition of the now legendary "Captain America" #25. Very exciting, especially since the regular editions of Cap #25 have sold-out everywhere, but it'd be more exciting if I didn't actually already have one of those sold-out copies.

So, I decided I was going to keep the version I already had and sell the WWLA variant. I passed one of the retailers set up at the show and he had a sign up saying something to effect of "We're buying WWLA Captain America #25 variants. $20 cash or $25 in trade." Good deal in my eyes, so I went up to the guy who naturally examined the copy (he said it was the best quality copy he'd seen yet) and said he'd take it. I took the $20 cash and left, having felt good about my transaction. The $20 then paid for a couple of nice trades that I found: "Batman: The Long Halloween" (one of the best Batman stories ever! A true detective story) and "Jinx" by Bendis which I have yet to read but I hear it's awesome (and being developed into a movie with Charlize Theron). I got some other trades too, but I digress.

I just went on eBay to see how much the Cap #25 WWLA variant was selling for. I checked the "Completed Listings" for a better idea on selling price rather than what auctions were currently at. After a casual glance at the most recent auctions, it turns out that the issue is selling for an average of $50. Some even went for around $70. And that's without shipping!

I'm an idiot and should've sold the issue on eBay instead of getting the $20 at the show.

But hey, $20 is better than nothing, and eBay's such a hassle sometimes anyway. I'm just trying to make myself feel better.

(UPDATED with image)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home