Sunday, April 09, 2006

This trailer has been approved for all audiences

I just went and saw Inside Man at my local theater. Really good. Check it out. But that's not the reason for my post.

Before the movie, I saw the preview for Flight 93, the Paul Greengrass film about United Flight 93 and the heroism of the passengers aboard that flight on Sept. 11th, 2001. We all remember the story of Flight 93, and we all have varying opinions on whether or not it's too soon to see films about 9/11. I have an opinion on this matter, but that's not the subject of this post either.

What I'm going to do is tell you what I thought about the trailer itself. Here it is in a nutshell: I wasn't thrilled with it, and quite frankly, I was a little annoyed.

As a quick aside... I love Paul Greengrass movies. Black Sunday was hard-hitting and brilliant, and you cannot tell me you didn't like The Bourne Supremacy. If there's gonna be a film made about 9/11, I feel comfortable with Greengrass. Not so much Stone... but Greengrass for sure.

The trailer had very little actual movie footage in it. The rest of the trailer was filled with interviews with Greengrass and family members of United Flight 93 passengers, and they were discussing the merits and importance of making a film about 9/11 and why these stories need to told. My problem with the trailer was that, after I saw it, I felt like they were telling me "It's ok. The families said we could, so go see the movie." I mean, seriously? Is that what they were going for? If so or if not, that was my reaction, and I guarantee others had the same (not all of you, but some... admit it). Don't get me wrong, I am truly happy to know that the families support the film. That was my first question when I heard the movie was being made. I just think everyone needs to decide for themselves whether or not to see the movie and not to feel pressured by the studio marketing team.

It's one man's opinion, but I really do think that this trailer, by the way it was cut, is pressuring the audience to be ok with the subject matter, whether it's intentional or not. And face it people, not everyone is ok with a film like this coming out less than 5 years later.

I do admire Greengrass and the other makers of this film for tackling such a difficult subject. I really do hope it turns out to be a good movie. I just don't know if I'll be there in the audience to see it. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Oh, and I will concede that the alternative to this trailer would've been a trailer of just scenes from the film, at which point it would certainly be attacked for appearing sensational. It's a Catch-22, to be sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home