Monday, January 08, 2007

The Queen

I saw The Queen over the weekend. Yeah, yeah, I know. Not my usual fare. Suck it up. I like these kinds of movies too...

It's also awards season, so every ad for this movie is talking about how incredible Helen Mirren is as Queen Elizabeth II. I tend to never agree with the ads because I find that most of them are just paid Variety ads from the studio.

Well, this is not one of those cases. Helen Mirren is perfect as The Queen. She really is. Michael Sheen is also incredible as Prime Minister Tony Blair. In fact, there are few people in this film that don't shine in their roles; James Cromwell as Prince Philip and whoever played the Queen Mum also come to mind.

I've heard people say that the movie is slow. I guess. I didn't think so, but I can certainly see how you could get that. However, I was enthralled by the actors and the script was really cohesive and well-paced. Aside from Mirren, the most remarkable part of the movie is that Queen Elizabeth II comes off as sympathetic and extremely likeable. It's not that I don't think she is in real life, but rather that the writers did a good job conveying those sentiments in a character who is most well-known as a person of wealth and royal priviledge.

I highly recommend this to any fan of good acting and writing. Just remember, it's a character piece. And if Helen Mirren doesn't win the Oscar for her performance, I will lose all faith in the movie industry.

UPDATE: I had no idea that Michael Sheen (Tony Blair) played Lucian in the Underworld movies. I didn't even think he looked that familiar, and I LOVE the first Underworld.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home