Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Futurama is laughing at me

Quick background info: I'm a space fan. I'm also a sci-fi fan, but here we're talking about outer space, specifically manned spaceflight. From the Earth to the Moon was what started it all for me, and I went on to read any book I could find on the subject of human beings going into space, the culmination of which was the moon landings from 1969-1972.

Now to the matter at hand: I'm new to Futurama, but I'm really into it now (please save your outrage on my being late to the game). So, yesterday I was watching the episode of Futurama called "The Series Has Landed" in which the gang goes to the moon to deliver a package. Hilarity ensues and they end up being chased across the moonscape by a crazed moon-farmer. They end up hiding out in the first, and long-lost, lunar lander (the one Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin used in '69).

This was a problem for me. I know it's a cartoon, but this was a blatant mistake. Only the bottom half of the lunar lander is still there, ie. the legs. The top half is what Armstrong and Aldrin took off in so that they could return to Earth. The same half that they took off in was then jetisoned from the command module, presumably into orbit, before re-entering the atmosphere.

Yeah, I know. You're reading this and saying "GEEK!" And again, I know it's a cartoon so I let it go while still feeling high-and-mighty and overall quite superior. So imagine my surprise when, during a final scene in the lander, Leela leans forward and behind her we see a plaque that reads "Lander returned to this site by the Historical Sticklers Society."

To all of you at Futurama: you've had your laugh, and now I feel stupid. At the same time though, I'm very impressed with your skills. 1-0 to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home