Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Star Wars is finally coming to DVD!

In recent years, several people have started conversations with me like this: "I was watching the original trilogy, and you know what I noticed in A New Hope?" Very irritating.

I know the subtitle of the original 1977 film was "A New Hope," but that's not the name of the movie, people! It's STAR WARS. Back in '77, no one went to the box office and said "I'll have one for A New Hope." I don't get why everyone wants to rename one of the greatest films in sci-fi history!

And don't EVEN get me started on Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark! There was no need to add the "Indiana Jones and..." part. Ok, now see... you got me started. But I digress. Back to my original point (if I even had one)...

If you must refer to something as "A New Hope," then let it be the craptacular "updating" of the original 1977 film, Star Wars, that Lucas put out. Y'know, the so-called "special editions" ... the only versions of the original trilogy that you can get on DVD.

Well, soon that won't be the case. According to stories on both CHUD and starwars.com, the original unaltered Star Wars trilogy will be available on DVD for the first time ever this September. Each will contain 2 discs which will contain both the theatrical and the Special Edition versions of the film. These DVDs will only be on sale from 9/12/06 thru 12/31/06, just in time for the holiday season with a little more time tacked on for those people who will find out on Christmas morning that Aunty Polly didn't get them the 3 new Star Wars DVDs that they wanted, but rather goofed and got the Special Editions or worse... Howard the Duck on DVD!

I'm totally buying these. If for no other reason than my VHS tapes of the theatrical versions are on their last legs. Ahh, who am I kidding? I don't need a reason. Just put them out already!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI there was no subtitle at all on the original release of "Star Wars". The "Episode 4: A New Hope" subtitle wasn't added until after "Empire Strikes Back" had already come out.

5/30/2006 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home