Sunday, July 09, 2006

Trailers annoy me

Not the vehicle-attachments, but rather the alternate name of movie previews. Now here's why...

I don't know too terribly much about the trailer-editing world, but from what I understand, producers and directors sift though the footage for their not-yet-finished film and select several different shots that they deem acceptable and sexy enough to be included in the trailer. Then it's up to the trailer editors to put together a really kick-ass preview to what we hope will be a really kick-ass movie. Trailer editors have tough jobs, that's for sure!

Let me also say that I LOVE trailers. If I miss the trailers before a movie, I feel slighted. I must be in time for the trailers. They're fun and exciting to watch and, let's face it, sometimes they're better than the movie itself.

So what annoyss me about trailers? It's not that they always showcase the best lines of any movie (although that does suck too). It's the fact that oftentimes, the trailers do not contain the same footage as that which ends up in the film. Take the 1995 film Dangerous Minds starring Michelle Pfeiffer. Good movie, really liked it. But do you remember the trailer? In the trailer there were several shots of Pfeiffer playing pool with her students, a montage that ended with Pfeiffer's memorable line, "Loser Rack!" It was one of the most prominent lines in the trailer.

The pool-hall scene was not in the theatrical release of the film. At least, not in the one that I saw.

See, along with the rest of the free world, I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest this weekend. Great movie, but that's another story. This is a movie that I've been so eagerly anticipating that I must've seen the trailers (all versions of them) about 50 times; enough times that I can probably recite them to you from memory. Sure enough, the trailers for Pirates 2 contain some different takes than were used in the film. Not many, but enough so that I noticed while I was watching the film... and they were all Jack Sparrow lines, ie. the best and most recognized lines of the film!

It annoyed me. Not overly, but enough. The last example may have been a little nit-picky, but for those of us geeks who have (modesty aside) an incredible memory and a tendency to quote every excellent movie we've ever seen, it would help if the trailers would remain consistent with the film, and vice versa.

If nothing else, it'll give me time to complain about other inane and petty subjects... like the current state of the Sourdough Jack at Jack-in-the-Box. When did they start putting so much ketchup on it?!?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home